October 20, 2011

Think Pink & Those Plastics You're Using

Breast cancer is something that has directly affected my family on more than one occasion.
In fact, it attacked two of my Mom's sisters at the exact same time.
How dare it.

Since it has directly affected my two aunts, and the rest of us within the family for that matter, I've had a special place in my heart to shed light on the subject, and help others take steps to prevent it.

As many of you know, October is officially
In honor of creating awareness, I wanted to chat with you guys about the types of plastics we are exposed to and use on a daily basis. Breast Cancer - plastics, huh? Just keep reading.

Who would have thought something so simple may affect our health and breast cancer risk.

When you're using a plastic product there is always a little recycle symbol with a number in the middle, like so:


Here's the deal on those little symbols, the numbers actually mean something.
And what those numbers mean could directly affect your health.

Use plastics with the recycling code 1, 2, 4, or 5
And avoid those with the number 3, 6, or 7

Why? Because those bearing a 3, 6, or 7 use BPA - which is a harsh industrial chemical used in plastics that seeps from the plastic into the food and/or beverage you are consuming.

You know that hard, reusable, plastic water bottle you refill everyday and carry around?
It probably has a number 7 on it - meaning it contains BPA.

You know what number Starbucks' plastic coffee lids have?
A number 7.

The tupperware you store your leftovers in?
Probably a number 7.

As a general rule of thumb - the harder the plastic, the more likely it has a number 3, 6, or 7.
It may take some adjustments to not use those products - like drinking your Starbucks without a lid, or buying a new water bottle and/or tupperware.

But those adjustments could be the difference between healthy and not-healthy.

Moral of the story - check out that little, hard-to-see, plastic recycling code on the products you're using. There's a reason they make that symbol blend in almost flawlessly with plastic.

8 comments:

  1. Nooooo! My plastic reusable starrbies cup has a 7! Blasted all! I didnt know about this info! Thanks for sharing it sweets!
    BC awareness is also dear to my heart. I started a Susan G Komen team last year of 4 girls and we raised over $12,000. I was so proud of us! Im walking again next year in San Diego. Thanks for sharing the info and spreading awareness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is crazy! I had no idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is good to know! Even though I'm kind of scared to look at all the plastic things in my kitchen now, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that info ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea! Thank you for sharing this valuable information. I just told my 13 year old daughter too so she can be aware of the numbers and avoid them!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Do you know if the plastic codes are international? I think I've seen some kind of symbols on the plastics but I'm not sure. Have a nice Saturday! By the way I managed to drown the spider in the bathtub, LOL:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog name and your button is super cute :) I like this post, because I am really into recycling and I did not know this. I found you in a blog hop. I hope you can follow me back
    http://theladiesloungeguide.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so helpful--thank you for spelling it out like this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...